|Date Posted||November 24, 2020|
Essential Job Accountabilities:
*****$20,000 Sign on Bonus*****
The Respiratory Therapist Neonatal will utilize and be competent in all of the clinical skills performed by a Respiratory Therapist II to include geriatric, adult, pediatric and newborn patient care. The Respiratory Therapist Neonatal will have the additional training and competency necessary to work under minimal supervision in a level II neonatal nursery unit. The Respiratory Therapist Neonatal will maintain competency and/or certification to perform all patient care activities according to NICU and Respiratory Care policy and procedure. Airway management & intubation of the newborn as well as ventilator management are considered core competencies, which are established during the orientation process and annually thereafter. The Respiratory Therapist Neonatal will also assist in the training of new NICU therapists. The Respiratory Therapist Neonatal will provide assistance to the NICU nursing staff as necessary and assume charge duties as assigned by the Respiratory Care Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Certification in neonatal intubation and neonatal airway management, which includes visualization of the vocal cords, suctioning of meconium and oxygenation of the newborn. To be performed independently with minimal supervision. Either the Neonatology Physician or a respiratory therapist currently certified in neonatal intubation will grant certification.
- Performs accurate and appropriate respiratory care assessment of the newborn.
- Draws arterial blood gases according to policy from UAC lines, arterial lines, arterial sticks, and capillary heel sticks. Analysis of the ABGâ€™s and morning lab draws on the blood gas systems according to nursery and departmental standards.
- Follows all hospital guidelines in adhering to the operating room procedures and Attire.
- Competent with all respiratory therapy equipment to include Drager ventilator, servo ventilator, oscillator ventilator, bubble cpap. Tpiece Resuscitator, heated high flow cannulas, heated oxygen hoods, nasal cannulas, nebulizers, blenders, o2 analyzers, ambu bag, transporter, and warmer tables.
- Cleans and properly reassembles all intubation boxes/bags and documents each shift that they are properly stocked.
- Competent in the proper cleaning and reassembles the infant transporter, isolettes, and warmer tables.
- Cleans and properly reassembles all respiratory therapy equipment and performs device checks on ventilators.
- Attends all high risk deliveries defined by 35 weeks or less, and other deliveries at the request of the Neonatologist or NICU Delivery Team.
- Assists the RN with assigning Apgar scores following birth, coordinates transfer of newborn from the delivery area to the NICU or well-baby nursery.
- Proficiency and understanding of Surfactant Administration including dosing and troubleshooting.
- Attends / completes annual clinical competency program.
Education, Experience, Qualifications:
- Graduate of an accredited program for Respiratory Care. Associate's Degree required.
- Must have successfully completed NBRC examination for Registered Respiratory Therapist or Certified Respiratory Therapist (Registry Preferred).
- Basic Life Support (BLS Provider) certification from American Heart Association required.
- Florida licensure is required.
- NRP Required prior to completion of preceptorship.
- ACLS & PALS certification is highly recommended.
- Minimum of 6 month of Respiratory and Critical Care experience including ventilator management. Previous experience in a level II nursery or greater is preferred.